- 1. Look at the things you love and the things at which you excel.
- 2. Combine identity (who you are), vocation (what you do), and passion (what you love)
- 3. Remember that what you do matters less than what God’s Spirit does in you.
- 4. “Is this God’s will?” is the wrong question. Instead ask, “Is this consistent with God’s will?”
- 5. Listen to your own noble desires. Desire is the compass of vocation.
- 6. God is using your dreams to call you into a better future.
- 7. Find your secret hopes, and draw on them to energize and catalyze your ambition to heal the world.
- 8. What you do flows from who you are. Define yourself as God’s, and your desires will be His, too.
- 9. God’s love purifies our desires, so we ought to love God and do what we want.
Dr. David McDonald is the teaching pastor at Westwinds Community Church in Jackson, MI. The church, widely considered among the most innovative in America, has been featured on CNN.com and in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and Time Magazine. David weaves deep theological truths with sharp social analysis and peculiar observations on pop culture. He lives in Jackson with his wife, Carmel, and their two kids. Follow him on twitter (@fossores) or online at fossores.com