New Project: How To Do Ministry
fossores, 10 years ago 0 1 min read 1440
A quest to help aspiring leaders become effective faster
Pastors often employ business or athletic models for ministerial leadership. Both require heavy adaptation, and neither is terribly functional, so I’m searching for an alternative.
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS:
Church leaders often request help doing holistic, innovative ministry like Westwinds, so I’ve begun searching for a suitable model to teach the varied components:
- Liturgics—why we do the things we do.
- Staffing—why we hire the people we hire.
- Budgets—how we use the resources we have.
- Relationships—How we work with our people.
- Mission—Staying focused on the right things.
- Spiritual Formation—Teaching and growing.
- Pastoral Interiority—What goes on in our hearts and minds.
- Prophetic Artistry—cultural provocation and critique.
- Post-Christian Orthodoxy—How we follow the Bible’s teachings when it doesn’t feel like anyone around us cares.
I don’t want to over-simplify, but I do want to categorize the material so it’s easily readable and usable. Thus far, I have compiled nearly 700 diagrams & illustrations. I’m going to employ the visual model of an orrery—a 3D model of the solar system—and see how far that gets me.
Dr. David McDonald is the teaching pastor at Westwinds Community Church in Jackson, MI. The church, widely considered among the most innovative in America, has been featured on CNN.com and in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and Time Magazine. David weaves deep theological truths with sharp social analysis and peculiar observations on pop culture. He lives in Jackson with his wife, Carmel, and their two kids. Follow him on twitter (@fossores) or online at fossores.com
- Victors and Victims November 6, 2018
- 3 Hacks for Happiness October 29, 2018
- Hope Against Death September 20, 2018
- The Shape Of The Cross September 19, 2018
Leave a Reply